Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Chocolate Ganache Cake

This recipe comes from Ina Garten in her book Barefoot Contessa Parties!. I have several cookbooks from Ina and have found some solid recipes in all of them.

I first made this cake several years ago for a couple who'd invited us over for dinner. I had been wanting to try out this recipe for awhile and was now afforded the opportunity! Yea!
As I live in a small town, just locating some good quality chocolate was a feat in itself. After procuring the required amount, I began the search for edible gold leaf (for decoration atop the cake). In utter defeat, I chose to top my chocolate creation with the candied violet option. Now to find a flowering violet plant. :(

With all my ingredients now in hand, I prepared to tackle the recipe.
The directions were quite simple and the cake turned out beautifully. The cake was extremely moist due to the addition of an entire can of chocolate syrup and the ganache was sinful! I was so happy with how the candied violets turned out. The purple looked amazing against the chocolate topping!

I arrived at my friends with my creation in hand. I pulled off the cake cover and beamed with pride. I looked over at my friend who was displaying some concern. Apparently the host had an aversion to chocolate. Even small amounts would render him useless as he would be overcome with headaches.
This small road bump did not break my spirits. We found an alternative (chocolate-free) dessert for the host and the rest of the party consumed large amounts of my heavenly cake, trying not to make the host feel as though he was missing out. Unfortunately for him, he'll never know.

Chocolate Ganache Cake
makes one 8-inch cake
1/4 lb unsalted butter at room temperature
1 cup sugar
4 extra-large eggs at room temperature
1-16 oz can Hershey's chocolate syrup
1 T pure vanilla extract
1 cup all-purpose flour
For Ganache:
1/2 cup heavy cream
8 oz good semisweet chocolate chips
1 tsp instant coffee granules
Candied violets or edible gold leaf, for decoration (optional)

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Butter and flour an 8-inch round cake pan, then line the bottom with parchment paper.
Cream butter and sugar in bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time. Mix in the chocolate syrup and vanilla. Add the flour and mix until just combined. Don't over beat, or the cake will be tough.
Pour the batter into the pan and bake for 40-50 minutes, or until the middle is just set. Don't over bake! Let cool thoroughly in the pan.
For the ganache, cook the heavy cream, chocolate chips, and instant coffee in the top of a double broiler over simmering water until smooth and warm, stirring occasionally.
Place the cake upside down on a wire rack and pour the glaze evenly over the top, making sure to cover the entire cake and sides. You can tilt the rack to smooth the glaze. Decorate with candied violets, if desired, or gently crumble the gold leaf and place it on the center of the cake. Do not refrigerate.

No comments:

Post a Comment